Protect your Rights after an Auto-Accident
Car wrecks come in all shapes and sizes, but none of those shapes and sizes are ever pretty. There are many unpleasant situations after an auto accident. You may have to deal with injuries, angry people, vehicle repairs, insurance companies, and even lawsuits. Events seem to move quickly for some and slowly for others (usually the exact opposite as you want to happen). What you do in the time immediately following the incident can make a huge difference in the hassle or ease in which incident related issues are resolved. If you are in a vehicular mishap, keep in mind your “after an accident ABC’s.”
- After a wreck, the most important thing is checking that you are okay. If you have any injury, you should seek medical attention immediately.
- Be mindful of what you say. Do not admit fault or accept any settlement offers on the spot.
- Call the police to make a report of the incident.
- Document the scene. Take pictures and videos of the area, cars, and people involved.
- Exchange information with all of the parties involved.
- File a claim with your insurance company.
- Get a witness report from any individual who saw the collision. Be sure to take the witness’ name and contact information.
- Hire an attorney to help you as soon after as possible. Your attorney can then help you through the rest of the process (alphabet)!
Luckily, you aren’t involved in accidents every day, but that also means you don’t have the experience dealing with insurance companies and other parties. An attorney who specializes in auto-accidents will make sure you take the proper steps to get the full compensation you deserve or have the protection you need if you are taken to court by another party.
An attorney who is familiar with these types of situations knows the best way to handle them. They will be able to help take stress off of you and allow you focus on recovering from any injuries you may have sustained, getting your vehicle repaired, and other tasks you have to complete as a result of the crash. A small attorney’s fee now can make a big difference later, especially when dealing with insurance companies pressuring you to quickly settle. Don’t make any rash decisions to settle without speaking with an attorney, especially if you have been injured.
The Bruce Edwards Law Firm has built a reputation in Douglas, Georgia as an honest and dedicated worker’s compensation and auto accident attorney. We have helped numerous clients in the area get the compensation they need without all the headache of going through the red tape. Call us today at 912-384- 5700 and let us represent you.